In this website you will get the information about the structure, function, cutting, clamping, caring, uses, advantages and disadvantages of newborn umbilical cord. If you want a detailed information about the newborn umbilical cord read full article of this website.
Baby Umbilical Cord the life supporting system of a baby. Umbilical cord plays an important role in the birth a new born baby, in taking care of all the needs of baby which are necessary for the baby in the mother’s womb. It connects your baby to placenta.
It contains three vessels, two arteries and one vein whose function is transport of the blood. The arteries are used to transport blood from the baby to the placenta and the vein transports the blood back to the baby.
The umbilical cord is considered to be the both physical and emotional attachment between the mother and fetus. This structure allows for the transfer of oxygen and nutrients from the maternal circulation into fetal circulation while simultaneously removing waste products from fetal circulation to be eliminated maternally. So we can say it has three main functions:-
1. It supplies oxygen
2. It delivers the nutrients
3. It helps to withdraw blood rich in co2 and depleted in nutrients.
After the birth the baby umbilical cord is clamped immediately. The clamp is removed before the baby goes home from the hospital. The umbilical cord stump should fall off in 7 to 14 days. A little amount of blood or wetness is normal when it falls off. At home, one should:
1. Keep the cord dry and clean. The drier the cord, the sooner it will fall off.
2. To clean around the base of the cord use a cotton swab dipped in the alcohol 3 to 4 times a day or when soiled with urine or stool. You may continue to apply alcohol even after the stump falls off until the area is dry.
3. Until the baby umbilical cord falls off and the area looks healed do not give the baby a tub bath. This will take 7 to 10 days. Give him or her a sponge bath instead which will be very helpful for the new born baby.
4. To ensure that the diaper does not hit the cord when the baby kicks, roll the diaper as low as you can.
104 total views, 2 views today